Friday, May 29, 2009

thank-you bag



In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, the girls and I whipped up a couple of drawstring bags, one for each of Rye's teachers. I was inspired by the bags in Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing, although I did not use the pattern in the book, rather I just cut a couple of rectangles and sewed my own little version together.

Since I only had about an hour parts of the bag turned out a little bit wonky, but perhaps that just adds to it's charm. At least that's what I'm telling myself today.

We stuffed them full of homemade cookies, and notes and drawings from the children, and presented them along with some flowers from the garden. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well. In fact, I'm thinking of sewing up some more little bags just to keep on hand to use for last minute gifts. I always have the intention of giving handmade, but sometimes I just don't have the time. This way, I can still give a little handmade and tuck a store bought item or some yummy baked something inside and voila.

By the way, this was my first time using Heat 'n Bond to applique the initial onto the bag... can I just say I love that stuff? It made the letter look so crisp and neat! I definitely see more applique-ing (is that a word?) in my near future.

2 comments:

The Wooden Spool said...

sooo sweet! LOVELY!

traci said...

I would love to be your girls' teachers! The colors of the bags are great. I know what you mean about having things (homemade) on hand so that it is not a stress to give - instead it is natural. Love your blog.