Tuesday, April 28, 2009

baby pants

As soon as it started to get sunny I knew Jack was going to need some lightweight long pants that wouldn't be too hot, but keep his sweet little baby skin protected.  So I turned to this book, which I've had forever, but most of the projects seem to require much more time than this mama of four has these days.  So these little kimono pants, they're called, seemed like something quick and easy, and something he desperately needed. 
I repurposed an old tote bag that I made for Rye a year or so ago, and he never really got into using it.  The bag was made with three quarter yards of coordinating prints on each side, so the middle seams of my pants were already sewn together, I just had to cut the right amount for the trim, and I chose to alternate the prints (so the trim on the front is opposite the back, and right opposite the left) because I do love any sort of pant that reminds me of clown pants.  Yes, I do.  Everyone needs at least one pair of busy pants, right?  I may tone it down a bit on the next go around, though.

I found the pattern really simple and easy to follow.  I made the 9-12 month size (Jack is 6 months old), added an inch in length, but am finding the crotch/bum area to be a little more fitted than I would like. Something to consider if you have a round little one like mine, or if you cloth diaper.   I'll definitely add a little more room to the crotch when I make this again, but I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out.
And look what else is new here!  Front teeth!  Yep, the little guy now has top and bottom chompers.  He's had an awful time teething, probably more so than any of my others, and could probably use a lesson or two on the things we bite and the things we don't.... but like most milestones, I'm sure it's a much bigger deal to me than to him.  No more toothless grins, another of the newborn characteristics that I see fading every day.  Luckily my boy seems to be in no great hurry to grow up (or even sit up) and that is perfectly all right with me.

4 comments:

Nancey said...

Very cute fabric combination! Thanks for the pointer on the crotch being too small.

Mel said...

I love these little pants, and all the fabrics, they are super cute. And his little belly!

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

The pants are darling. I love the fabric combination and he is TOO CUTE!

Jeannine said...

I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award. I absolutely love what you do and am very grateful that you blog about it. The rules, and what I wrote about your blog can be seen on my blog.