Friday, December 12, 2008

what it's like

At least once a day I'm asked two questions: "How do you do it?!" and "What is life like with four kids so close in age?!"

The answer to the first question is simple: I don't. I would like to volunteer more at Rye's school, and in his classroom, but I know that that's really not possible for us right now, so I just try to juggle what I say "yes" to... I don't feel compelled to cook every meal myself-- Richard actually does more of the cooking in the evenings than I do, and on the weekends. I really just try to enjoy this fleeting, magical time of early childhood, even in the midst of meltdowns and diaper blowouts, because I figure the cooking and cleaning will always be there.

And the answer to what it's like? Of course it's ever-changing, but there are some constants that we can count on:



There's always someone there to comfort you when you're crying...



And on the flip side, if you're not crying, there's probably someone who can oblige with that, too...




... and we try to remember that even when we're not putting our best faces forward...



there's always beauty to be found in the messes that we've made.

Yes, some days are easier than others. But when all is said and done, and all four babes are tucked in at night, and the house is finally quiet, all I really know is that we've been truly blessed by these four kiddos, beyond any expectation that I ever could have had.

2 comments:

giddygoat said...

So special!

charliemonkey said...

It couldn't have been said any better!