Friday, June 20, 2008

i swore off any more pets, but...


... our trip to the local zoo just MIGHT be swaying the whole "Mom can I have a (fill in the blank here)..."


I don't have a photo of the guinea pigs, but they were amazing! So, so cute. If any animal could sway me right now, it just MAY be a snuggly little guinea pig... I never realized how really and truly adorable they were, and kid friendly. Rye "collected" bunches of guinea pigs, setting them all in a line with their salad mix, and eventually had almost 20 little guineas in a bundle all to himself. He was in animal-lover heaven. I've never been to this particular petting zoo, only the children had with their grandparents, and I was really impressed with the staff and their encouragement of the children handling the animals. Almost anytime we have encountered anywhere with bunnies, or little chicks, the children haven't been allowed to pick them up, because of the fragile and skittish nature of the animals. But this petting zoo was so open, and you could really see the difference in the animals... I've never seen bunnies run to greet us (and our baskets of carrots!) so eagerly!


I also loved the llamas, but doubt I'll be getting a llama as a pet any time soon! But maybe Piper and I should get llama-inspired haircuts??!...

3 comments:

melissa sews said...

How fun! We swore off pets, too. Then my six year old started BEGGING for a puppy. It was all he wanted for Christmas. Talk about a guilt trip! We relented and got a lab mix from our local animal shelter. Sammy (our doggy) is great, when she's not trying to dig to China in our backyard! LOL!

Heather said...

What a fun place! I bet you all had a ball! I've had rabbits throughout my life, and I've heard that they're excellent cagemates with guinea pigs. So go on and get a pair! ;)
I love llamas too! Their little faces...awww...

elliebelle said...

Oh I love animals! Guinea pigs are great pets for kids. I used to work at a pet store in high school and I would always pet the little guys, and they're squeaking is soooo cute. It would be especially fun when we'd have babies born! Guinea pig babies come out ready to run around! So much fun! They can be skittish at first, but they will get used to you quickly. :) That petting zoo looks like tons of fun!